Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tutorial: Getting your ribbon straight .. how I do it.


Hello, scrappers! Sandi Clarkson here today with a small tutorial on how I get my ribbon straight on a page. I've used the gorgeous Scrap That!'s June kit Life's Muse for my example page. (Let me apologize now for the poor lighting on the photos. We were having thunderstorms the day I needed to work on this!) 

In the first photo, you can see that I have already adhered several paper layers to my page and it was time to adhere my ribbon.


First, I have placed the ribbon on the page to get  a general idea where I want it to go.  I have placed the layout on my work mat and lined my paper up straight with the lines on the mat being sure that the top of both ends of the ribbon are on the same inch marker. 


Before reaching for the tape, I place some additions items on the page without securing them to ensure that I am happy with where the ribbon is going. 


I generally use Tacky Tape to adhere my ribbons but here I have used a Recollections brand.   A good quality double-sided tape is the key. And placing it discreetly so that it does not show. Alternatively, I will use a glue such as Beacon's Fabri-tac. 


Then I put a ruler across the page .. lining up with the markers on the side. 


I moved the ruler down according to the width of the tape, in this instance it was 1/4 of an inch. If you like, you can run a pencil line along the top of your ruler although I generally do not. Please excuse my very old ruler. My good clear Tim Holtz ruler was misplaced the day I was preparing this. I'm sure this happens to you as well, right? 


Now it is time to adhere the tape to the page being sure to go beyond each edge and actually taped to the mat at this point.  This will allow you to wrap that extra length around the page when you want to wrap the ribbon or lace around your page and eliminate any frayed edges. For my project, however, I cut my ribbon plumb with the paper and used Fray check on the ends. Ususally, however, I wrap the ends around to the back. 


This simply shows lifting up the red protective liner to reveal the sticky tape. 


Next I carefully start placing the top of my lace or ribbon along the upper edge of the tape. I needed an extra hand to really photograph "in progress." But trust me, I do this part slowly and carefully usually work from left to right as I am right handed. 


Here I have trimmed the sides. Now my lace is running straight across the page! 


You can use this same principle to align your photos if you wish. I always hate when I've gotten a photo on my paper just a bit crooked and then cannot correct my mistake because I have embellished over it. 


Here is the completed page. This one was based on team member Amarilys' awesome June sketch. 

I hope this tutorial will help you  the next time you are trying to get your ribbons and lace looking nice. Feel free to leave me any questions that you may have. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

6 comments:

  1. what an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! love it!!!
    thanks!!!
    kisses
    Rosana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muito, muito lindo!!

    Congratulações e beijos do Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Sandi I couldn't live without my gridded mat - I check everything against that although my eyeballing is pretty spot on these days too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your layout, and I use my gridded mat all the time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx for the tutorial.. beautiful layout and a fabulous sketch~

    ReplyDelete