Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Making the Most of your Patterned Paper

Hi wonderful blog readers!  Tara here today to share a simple tutorial on making the most of your patterned papers.  This month's kit is full of gorgeous papers from Graphic 45 and Basic Grey - both of which are fantastic for fussy cutting!

I LOVE patterned paper! I love the bright colours, the dimensions, the amazing shapes, the beautiful photos of scenery, objects or just about anything you can print on a piece of paper! I love its versatility and I love how it inspires me with so many possibilities.

Personally, paper is everything to me. It’s the primary inspiration, along with my photos, for my layouts.

I always start with a photo that I adore and then I will match my paper accordingly. Once I have selected my papers, it’s on to the organization of the layout and finally, the embellishments and finishing touches.

If you’ve ever found yourself searching endlessly for the perfect embellishment; the one that will compliment your papers flawlessly and bring your layout together just right, look no further than your patterned paper!

That piece of paper with multiple flowers and stems might appear overwhelming at first glance but if you were to individually cut out each flower (not all of them, but some) along with some stems, wouldn’t they make the perfect embellishment? What about that paper adorned with butterflies? The possibilities are endless.

Rather than perceiving a piece of patterned paper as overwhelming, take a look from an embellishment perspective and discover the endless possibilities it has to offer!


SPECIAL NOTE: It’s always a good idea to buy 2 pieces of a patterned paper that you adore – especially if its double sided. One page can be used exclusively for cut-out work and the other for background paper, layering or photo mats.

SPECIAL NOTE: It is MANDATORY to have fabulous detailing scissors for fussy cutting. Sorry, but the kitchen scissors simply won’t do! They make a HUGE difference with regards to fine detailing, angles and teeny, tiny spaces.

Have fun with your paper!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori! Thank YOU so much for this info. I was wondering if you can maybe suggest a good pair of scissors for fussy cutting. Just wondering if you have any ideas. You can email me at samnadia@hotmail.com. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Most of my embellishments come directly from the paper. I would say 80% of my layouts have some type of fussy cutting on them. These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete